Like most things in this world the struggle between Russia and Ukraine over the Crimean Peninsula is not as black and white as one might think. Ukraine has a long history and its population is ethnically, linguistically, and religiously diverse.
This morning I awoke to news that the United States is deploying the destroyer USS Truxton to the Black Sea and twelve F-16 fighters to Poland as part of an effort to increase pressure on Vladimir Putin.
As I read the news I sighed in dismay at seeing yet another "crisis" develop and our response appear to be one of reaction rather than strategy.
I was very pleased to later read an opinion piece by Henry Kissinger in the Washington Post titled: How the Ukraine crisis ends. Kissinger lays out the issues of both the immediate crisis, the failure of the State Department to think and act strategically, and the path to resolution in one fell swoop. Kissinger's opinion piece should be mandatory reading for all Americans, but particularly for the White House, the Departments of State and Defense, and Congress.
I encourage you to click the link above to Kissinger's piece to receive an education on the Ukraine - Russia conflict.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thoughtful and respectful comments are encouraged.